As people age, their bodies may become more susceptible to a variety of health issues. This is where CBD, or cannabidiol, can be of great benefit to older adults. CBD has been shown to have a number of positive effects on older adults, including improved sleep, better-looking skin, and an overall sense of calm and wellness.
One of the most significant benefits of CBD for older adults is its ability to assist with relaxing at bedtime. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology found that CBD improved sleep quality in people with anxiety. Another study published in the Permanente Journal found that CBD improved sleep in people with anxiety and poor sleep. This is important because as people age, it can become more difficult to fall and stay asleep. This is often due to a variety of factors, including pain, anxiety, and medications. CBD can assist to alleviate these issues, allowing older adults to fall asleep more easily and get a better night’s rest.
CBD can help to increase hydration, reduce inflammation, and promote the production of collagen, which can help to improve the overall appearance and health of the skin.
Beyond its effects on sleep and skin, CBD can also have a generally positive impact on the wellness and sense of calm of older adults. A study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that CBD has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties In addition, a study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology found that CBD has anxiolytic properties.
Before taking CBD, it’s crucial to talk to a doctor who is familiar with your medical history and can advise you on the potential risks and benefits. This is especially important if you’re already taking prescription medications.
Your doctor can also help you determine the appropriate dosage of CBD for your specific needs and monitor any potential side effects. They may also be able to recommend alternative treatments or lifestyle changes that can address your symptoms without the need for CBD.
You may also find it useful to try one of our General Health testing kits which you can find here – https://provacan.co.uk/blood-tests/
Overall, CBD can be a powerful tool for improving the health and wellness of older adults. Whether it’s helping to improve sleep, promoting healthy skin, or reducing feelings of anxiety and stress, CBD can help older adults to feel better and enjoy a higher quality of life. If you’re an older adult looking for a natural way to improve your health and wellbeing, CBD is definitely worth considering.
- Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., & Hughes, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in anxiety and sleep: A large case series. The Permanente Journal, 23. https://doi.org/10.7812/TPP/18-041
- Crippa, J. A., Derenusson, G. N., Ferrari, T. B., Wichert-Ana, L., Duran, F. L., Martin-Santos, R., … & Hallak, J. E. (2011). Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: A preliminary report. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 25(1), 121-130. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269881110379283
- Oláh, A., Tóth, B. I., Borbíró, I., Sugawara, K., Szöllõsi, A. G., Czifra, G., … & Bíró, T. (2014). Cannabidiol exerts sebostatic and antiinflammatory effects on human sebocytes. The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 124(9), 3713-3724. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI64628
- Tóth, K. F., Ádám, D., Bíró, T., & Oláh, A. (2019). Cannabinoid signaling in the skin: Therapeutic potential of the “C(ut)annabinoid” system. Molecules, 24(5), 918. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24050918
- Booz, G. W. (2011). Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic strategy for lessening the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 51(5), 1054-1061. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2011.01.007
- Babson, K. A., Sottile, J., Morabito, D., & Wardle, M. C. (2017). Cannabis, cannabinoids, and sleep: a review of the literature. Current Psychiatry Reports, 19(4), 23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-017-0775-9